Thursday 17 October 2013

Sleeping Soul



“It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost.”
Stephen King






A temporary (I hope so) lack of regular commissions makes me upset a bit... Just a small digression :) 
"Sleeping Soul" - isn't that an intriguing title? I wouldn't come up with that myself, but that's the title of a poem for which I made the following illustration. So today's post deals with a slightly surreal human.

Tymczasowy (mam nadzieję) brak regularnych zleceń trochę daje mi się we znaki... Taka mała dygresja :) 
"Śpiąca Dusza" - intrygujący tytuł, nieprawdaż? Sama bym go nie wymyśliła, ale tak się składa, że jest to tytuł wiersza, do którego powstała poniższa ilustracja. Dzisiaj więc będzie nieco surrealistyczny temat o człowieku.





Just a pencil sketch and, yes, masking fluid again... but only in some specific places. I masked hair (beard, lashes, eyebrows,  hair on the head) and stars (I splashed masking fluid with broad brush with hard bristles) 

Standardowy szkic ołówkiem i ... a tak, znowu fluid maskujący. Zamaskowałam nim włosy (rzęsy, brwi i oczywiście włosy na głowie) oraz gwiazdy (rozpryskiwałam fluid za pomocą szerokiego pędzla z twardym włosiem 
...
...
...
...
...
... 3 hours later. I'm sorry, but painting the face swamped me completely so I've totally forgotten about documenting what was happening in that time. I put here a lot of layers with different colors until I was satisfied with tones and contrasts. It's really hard to explain what I exactly did. With technique "wet on wet" I painted first layer of a bedsheet. This awful "blot" doesn't bother me now.

... 3 godziny później. Niestety malowanie twarzy zupełnie mnie pochłonęło, przez co zapomniałam o dokumentowaniu poszczególnych etapów. Nakładałam tu wiele warstw farby w różnych kolorach aż uzyskałam zadowalające mnie odcienie i kontrasty. Teraz na prawdę trudno mi wyjaśnić, co konkretnie robiłam. Techniką "mokre na mokrym" namalowałam pierwszą warstwę prześcieradła. Ten wstrętny "grzyb" na razie mnie nie martwi.
 

Now I have to improve hair. With my face almost touching the paper, biting my lip (I always do that when I try to focus) I paint small shadows with  the thinnest brush I could find. Last thing required detailing is the bedsheet. Several layers of paint and we can't see the awful blot anymore!

Teraz pora poprawić włosy. Z nosem przy samej kartce, przygryzając usta (zawsze to robię, kiedy próbuję się skupić) maluję cienie, używając możliwie najcieńszego pędzla. Ostatnim elementem wymagającym dopracowania jest prześcieradło. Kilka warstw farby i nie widać już wstrętnego "grzyba"!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment